Sunday, August 4, 2013

I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

And better than ever!
 
 
New Project
 
Ka-Bar/Becker BK-2 "Campanion" Knife
  1. I removed the Abrasive black coating on the blade, using "Klean-rite" paint stripper
     2.  Put a "convex" edge on the blade. This makes it a sturdier "chopper"
Sharpening
 
As a side note, I took the knife to Ithaca and Keith and I put it to the test, chopping and splitting wood. It worked very well!
 
   3. Picked up some Ash from Woodcraft to make new scales
 
 Cut out a rough blank with my scroll saw
And hand carved with my new Mora

 
 
Next I polished the blade until it was almost mirror bright, but it kept rusting on me, so I did a little research and came up with "forced patinas".
 
I soaked the blade in a vinegar damp rag for a few hours and the mottled the blade by smearing it with ketchup, letting it sit for 1/2 hour.
 Cleaned with soap and water, and a quick rub with #0000 steel wool and this is the end result.
 
Just about done. Handle still needs sealed.
 
 
So, Whadda ya think? Not bad for a novice!



2 comments:

  1. Looks great! Vinegar first and then the ketchup? I'll post pics of my new project soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, wrapped the whole blade and tang in a rag, put it into a ziplock bag, and soaked the rag in vinegar, waited a few hours and the blade was a dark grey, washed it with dish soap and a sponge and it lightened up, dried it and dappled it with ketchup. let it sit for half hour and washed and dried it again, then went to it with really fine steel wool. And that's how you write a run-on sentence.

    ReplyDelete