Monday, January 20, 2014

From file to knife

 Started with a file just like this one

Cut out a blank with an angle grinder

Roughed out my grind angle free hand on a bench grinder

Cut out scales of cherry

Cutting 1/8in brass rods for pins

Ready to glue scales to the knife

 Waitin for the epoxy to dry




Sanding down the scales with belt sander, rasp, and file


Rounding into shape

First coat of linseed oil

Polishing the blade with 2000 grit wet/dry paper

Shiny!



Two of my favorite knives

The knife that inspired my design, Horace Kephart's knife

Sigh, there goes my nice clean workshop. All this from just putting the scales on.

1 comment:

  1. I have an older version of that Buck revolution. It's a great knife. YOUR knife turned out really nice. It looks pride inducingly similar to Kephart's knife. How thick is the blade? Did you do a flat grind? Have you put it to the test yet?

    ReplyDelete