Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Woodblight's Workshop Ep.2: Stanley No. 81

Old Stanley No. 81 cabinet scraper I found at an antique store yesterday for $10!

Couldn't wait to start rehabbing the old fellow so I don't have any pictures of the rusted out mess it was. This is a picture I found on the internet, it was quite a bit rustier than this.

Gave it a 24hr bath in "Evaporust" a non-toxic, biodegradable, all natural rust remover I found. It worked alright, but stunk to high hell. This picture is after a few hours of hand sanding.

Polished it up on the buffing wheel with some Jewelers compound. Came out alright, but I'm thinking of sand blasting it and maybe powder coating it. Also have to replace the rosewood sole as it was badly cracked, although i have it glued and clamped, maybe it'll turn out salvage-able.


2 comments:

  1. SCORE! Which antique shop did you find it in? I've seen those bad boys selling on the e-bays for $50 or more. You'll need a burnishing rod now, or I've heard one can use the smooth edge of a file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found it at "The Bomb Shelter", a great odd-ball antique store right around the corner. Yeah, need a burnishing rod and a scrapper blade for it. First I gotta replace the sole.

    ReplyDelete