Monday, March 10, 2014

A bunch of stuff that happened over the last month or so...


So, the knife a made a few posts back had a little problem. After talking to Keith, he educated me on the fact that if my pin holes aren't perfectly aligned the scales will split.

I eventually removed the old scales, and drilled a new hole for the front pin.

Thanks again Keith for the idea to use some 1x1 to build a little drilling jig.

New scales from some scrap wood. Not sure what kind, but i made sure the grain was running the length of the handle instead of "north-south".






Not my favorite, but they will do. I'm honestly just sick of this knife and want to move on to new projects.

Some new stuff around the shop.

Installed a small vise on the front of my bench. didn't bother to make it flush with the bench top and side like I planned because we will be moving soon and I doubt the bench will make the trip.

Here it is holding what would become my mallet handle.



drilled a hole in my anvil's base to hold the hot cutter, but the old wood was SO impregnated with bits of steel that it broke and warped my spade bit!

New shop addition, an old, abused Makita 8in table saw. Picked it up for $25. Seems to work just fine.




Another new addition, small Craftsman toolbox. Got it dirt cheap as well. Been looking for toolboxes forever, but didn't want to spend hundreds (many are thousands!) of dollars.

Great book I'm reading. More a meditation on woodworking and crafting than the "how-to's" I have been reading prior to this.










1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, friend-o. Glad the drilling rig worked for you. I know what you mean about the knife. The longer a project drags out, the harder it seems to complete.

    ReplyDelete