Friday, January 16, 2015

Catching Up

Trip Home for Christmas
Here is our beautiful tree, decorations courtesy of Ithaca's forests.

 My nephew, Kemper, looking dapper in his winter hat

 Me, looking slightly less dapper

Quality time selfie!

 Nap time selfie!

 One of the cooler gifts I received was a hard cider brew kit. Thanks to my brother and sister-in-law.

 Day one. My first batch is a cherry/apple cider.

Day three, blow off tube soon to be removed and replaced with a breather

A Few Projects
                                   
 I bought a wine barrel.  

 I designed this bench to be made from barrel staves. one day I will probably build it too.

 I got as far as selecting my lumber and beginning to lay it out but time and Marjie put the project on hold for the time being.

I did find other creative uses for the extra staves

I sanded them down, and drilled flat bottomed holes into them to make candle holders. Not pictured are the coat hangers I also made, but didn't photograph.

A finished product.

Keith and I started an etsy store, selling axes and the like. This was my idea for a logo.

Sold this axe a few days after it went up in the store. Note the beautiful leather mask that Keith made.

Bye bye, axe. Hope you have fun at you're new home.

Picked up some new stock for the store

This is a "Black Raven" axe. the are hard to find, and highly sought after. should sell quickly once I finish cleaning her up

Vinegar bath to loosen up the rust 

 Then it's just a whole bunch o' sanding by hand.


The hammer turned out so nice, I decided to keep it.

I did all these projects on this tiny makeshift table. Note the cinder blocks, its only about 2 1/2 feet tall.
I got so sick of it, that one weekend morning I drove to Harbor Freight and got myself a nearly proper workbench. It's alright, worth the price is how I would describe it. It was a bitch to put together.


2 comments:

  1. Nice to see some new pictures and words. Your projects look good, especially the new candle holder. That turned out very cool. Looking forward to burning some iron with you this weekend. Bring those new axe heads with you. Maybe we'll have time to find some handles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red flannel shirt is the same as Keiths! Or keiths is the same as yours. HA! We definitely need to get a pic of you guys in your matching flannel shirts and stormies for your Etsy profile.
    Nice work all around!

    ReplyDelete