Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wood workings

 Meet my nephew, Kemper Patrick Bernel. I made him a growth chart for his 1st Birthday.

 6' by 10" poplar.

 At first I used my table saw to rip this angle into the face all the way down, to mimic a ruler, but i was unhappy with it and cut it off.

 Marking out the inch and foot marks.

 Always happy when I can use my spokeshave. Works wonders on rounding over edges.



 Spent several hours painstakingly burning every line and number into the wood.


 Finished her up with a couple coats of cherry stain that I thinned out with turpentine to give it a worn look.


My favorite tool, looking awesome with some facial hair,

 On a sadder note, my best buddy of 11 years, Carl, passed away. I took a slab of cherry and hand drew his portrait onto it.


 Used the wood burner again to immortalize him.


A lot of beeswax and linseed oil later. A grave marker for a damn good dog.

Miss you, buddy.

3 comments:

  1. Did you see the pickaroon in the last post? I think we should make a couple more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Also, I just moved the forge to a workable location. I will need your help and your angle grinders to get it working.

    ReplyDelete