Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Metal workings

 Craftsman 3.5 lbs axe I found at an old hardware store.




After the first round of cleaning.


 Nice, new handle, note the grain is impeccable.

 Decided to try painting the handle, ala "Bestmade" axes.



I think it came out pretty well.

It's something of a tradition now, that when I'm working on an edged tool, I cut my hand.

 My pops liked my finished axe so well, he gave me his old pickaxe to clean up.

 I decided to do something a little different though.

Okay, maybe a lot different.

 Since my dad probably doesn't have alot of mining in his future, but he does love to have bonfires, I thought he could use a pickaroon more.

 The tradition lives on! This was actually pretty scary, my angle grinder bounced, while cutting off one of the forks of the pick, and landed right in my palm. Remind me to write a thank you note to the "Condor" glove company.


 I think it looks pretty cool!

 Quick coat of paint for some rust protection.


 That bastard is a beast! Sharp as hell and every bit as functional as it is pretty!


Mandatory in-shop selfies.

 This next project has been going on for about 6 months, Turning another old file into a draw knife.



Heated up the tang to red hot and actually burnt it through this scrap piece of cherry to make the first handle. That's all the further this is as of now.







No comments:

Post a Comment